06 April, 2022

Getting the front yard ready for winter

 It was one of those now or never mornings, waiting for the summer heat to go away so that work in the front yard could be done. Hubby and I were out the front cutting and pruning, it’s a pet hate really and it can only be done now and then due to health issues or the hot weather. 

The good thing is I have it down to mostly trees and shrubs; including carpet roses and agapanthus. Bulbs don’t come up until winter. Our photinia hedge row is filling up well. That was planted quite a few years back; however some failed to thrive and were removed and new photinia inserted in the gaps. Through the past summer season we have had plenty of rain and that boosted growth. So I am a happy camper to finally see it all growing in unison making it look vibrant and just how I had hoped it would be. 

With just minor changes to be made and hey presto it’s a nice private front yard that is like a little forest. Plenty birds visiting my yard and I can enjoy the company of my feathered friends. Now the leaves are falling the garden will take on a different look and I might have new ideas, lol. I really need to keep it low maintenance as neither of us have the health for heavy gardening. For me a I want a low maintenance picture postcard garden to enjoy without the constant hard work. 

Next task is out the back yard, that has run away ivy to kill. It is a banned plant in Canberra and for good reason being so rampant and invasive. I love ivy but not when it goes crazy overtaking the garden. That is my problem right now. 



The Chinese Pistachio tree has yet to change colour and shed its leaves 


Lively humour day